Wellness Programs for Seniors
Healthy Aging | 04/20/19
Be Sound of Body and Mind: Senior Wellness Program at Stonebridge at Montgomery
Of Americans age 65 and over, 11% live with some type of mental illness. This statistic, published in Mental Health, United States, 2010, by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, underscores the importance of access to senior wellness programs. At Stonebridge at Montgomery, supporting mental wellness is just one of the goals of our LivWell program.
LivWell is a holistic approach that ensures all seven dimensions of wellness are addressed; physical, intellectual, emotional, social, environmental, spiritual and vocational. Residents are encouraged to take advantage of the program by actively participating in activities that support and strengthen each of the seven dimensions.
7 Ways Stonebridge is Redefining Wellness for Seniors
- Physical Wellness – Fitness is typically one of the first things that comes to mind when a person considers the definition of wellness. We offer ample opportunities for you to get up and get moving, including classes like our fast-paced walking group and aqua aerobics in our indoor pool.
- Intellectual Wellness – Learning and exploring new ideas drives you to be more mindful, curious and better-rounded. Thanks in part to our proximity to Princeton University, we often host guest lectures, TED talk discussion groups, history series and more. There’s never a shortage of new things to learn!
- Emotional Wellness – Sometimes life throws a curveball, but participating in activities that explore how to deal with stress in our lives can help. One way to manage tension is joining support groups, such as the Low Vision Support Group or one of the other groups that are offered, that allow you to strengthen your connection with the community.
- Social Wellness – We, as humans, are social beings. It’s critical for both our mental and physical health to interact with others and bask in the community around us. So enjoy a cocktail at our happy hour or take part in an afternoon bridge group – we offer plenty of activities for you to enjoy with your newfound friends!
- Environmental Wellness – Our world is an amazing place. In order to admire what we have, it’s impactful to spend time appreciating the environment, whether it be visiting the greenhouse to grow your own plants and spices or taking a stroll on one of the many walking trials surrounding the community.
- Spiritual Wellness – Exploring your faith allows you to find a sense of purpose and discover what values are most important to you. As a non-denominational community, we encourage all residents to freely practice their faith.
- Vocational Wellness – There’s only one person that has experienced life in your shoes, and that’s you. Share the talents and insights that you’ve acquired in your life through service opportunities and volunteering. Stonebridge frequently offers occasions to do so, like with our 1,000 Lunches event proving meals to those at the Trenton Area Soup Kitchen. This is a great way for you to give back to your community.
Learn More About Wellness for Seniors at Stonebridge
One of the best components of the LivWell wellness program for seniors is the emphasis on personal choice. During the new resident orientation, you’re invited to create a unique profile that highlights your goals and interests. This way, you’ll have an individualized plan with an emphasis on how you want to make noticeable improvements in each of the seven dimensions of wellness.
Come visit us and see how happy our residents are for yourself! Contact us today to schedule a personal tour.