The Importance of Immunizations for Older AdultsJanuary 9, 2020
There are numerous ways for us to maintain our health. Eat fruits and vegetables daily. Find a fitness routine that works for you. Connect with others. Be sure to regularly schedule appointments with your doctor.
One component that has a possibility to be overlooked, though, is the importance of vaccines for your health. Immunizations protect people against serious illness and potential complications from a vaccine-preventable disease.
Vaccines are especially important for older adults. As we age, our immune systems begin to weaken, and our bodies have a more difficult time fighting against disease. You’re more likely to get diseases like the flu, shingles and pneumonia, which can result in complications leading to illness, hospitalization or even death.
Vaccines for Seniors
When it comes to which vaccines you may be interested in receiving, talk to your healthcare provider. They have a wealth of knowledge, including your own personal medical history, which will help inform what vaccines are right for you.
Generally speaking, the Centers for Disease Control offers a list of the most commonly encouraged vaccines to receive by age group. For adults 50 years or older, it is encouraged to receive the following vaccines:
- Influenza Vaccine: This vaccine helps protect from the seasonal flu, and it is encouraged to receive one dose annually.
- Tdap: This vaccine helps protect against tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis, and it is encouraged to receive one dose and a booster every ten years.
- Shingles Vaccine: This vaccine helps protect against shingles and the complications from the disease, and it is encouraged to receive one or two doses.
- Pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine (PPSV23): This vaccine helps protect against serious pneumococcal disease, including meningitis and bloodstream infections, and it is encouraged to receive one dose.
- Pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV13): This vaccine helps protect against serious pneumococcal disease and pneumonia and is recommended for all adults with a condition that weakens the immune system. It is encouraged to receive one dose.
Discover a Healthy Senior Living Lifestyle at Stonebridge at Montgomery
At Stonebridge at Montgomery, encouraging a healthy lifestyle is at the core of all of our offerings. LivWell is our holistic wellness program that helps improve mental, physical and spiritual wellness. Activities and amenities through this program go far beyond traditional senior living offerings.
The best part about LivWell? We’re able to personalize the program for your needs. So, if you have a specific goal in mind to improve your wellness, we’re able to recommend offerings that would be the most beneficial to you. For example, if you’re looking to stay physically healthy, we may encourage you to visit the onsite health and wellness clinic to inquire about vaccinations.
Contact us today to learn more and schedule your personal tour.