A Few Ideas of Fun Things to Do in the SummerJuly 24, 2020
Summer is here, and it’s time to think of ways to make the most out of the warm, sunny days. There are plenty of ways for you to spend time outdoors to get fresh air, move your body and socialize with friends. Keep reading for a few fun outdoor activities for older adults to enjoy in the summer months. Remember to also protect your skin and wear sunscreen when spending time soaking up the sun’s rays.
Summer Activities for Seniors to Enjoy Outdoors
- Take a Walk: Take a breath of fresh air during a stroll around a neighborhood or for a hike at a nearby trail. Walking not only allows you to experience the outdoors, but it also benefits you physically by helping you stay active and maintain cardio.
- Read Outdoors: While you may have a favorite reading nook in your home, immersing yourself into a good story and enjoying the fresh air is a great way to spend an afternoon. Bring a picnic blanket to lay out or even a comfortable outdoor chair and find a shady spot under a tree to read your latest story.
- Pack a Picnic: Your picnic doesn’t have to be anything elaborate – simply grab a couple sandwiches, water and snacks along with a blanket to sit on. Picnics offer an opportunity to socialize and share a meal with friends and family.
- Fly a Kite: When was the last time you focused on the little joys of life, like flying a kite? This is an especially great activity to do with grandchildren.
- Start a Garden: Gardening is the perfect hobby for those looking for a low-impact activity that offers the opportunity to spend time outside. Gardening benefits you socially, mentally and physically. Grab a couple friends to garden together or start a gardening club where you can swap tips and tricks for the perfect plants. As for physical benefits, this low-impact activity is ideal for those who desire to introduce physical fitness into their lives without overwhelming their joints. And mentally, gardening helps you practice patience and appreciate the beauty of the natural world.
- Golfing: Golfing is a timeless game that offers many health benefits. This exercise helps to build muscle strength, increase endurance and improve cardiovascular functions.
Discover Opportunities to Enjoy the Outdoors at Stonebridge at Montgomery
At Stonebridge at Montgomery, our activities and amenities are tailored to residents’ interests and encourage a healthy lifestyle – including our outdoor campus. Residents are able to spend time enjoying the summer months and soak up the sun in our greenhouse, in sitting areas or on green space and walking trails. Many of our floor plans even include patios for your own private outdoor sanctuary. For extra fun, check out our annual resident-hosted regatta where members and guests launch ratio-controlled boats of all kinds.