Spring Cleaning Tips: Low-Effort Ways to Freshen Up Your SpaceMarch 24, 2023
Spring has come, and so will the warmer weather. Soon, you won’t need the thick, layered covers that keep you warm during winter. As the earth pushes cold, frosty air back in the closet, so should you with all the annual clutter. Your home will look and feel renewed, and what could be a more perfect way to start the warmer, more colorful season?
The Benefits of Spring Cleaning
Clearing out the unwanted clutter in your home comes with benefits, too. If you’re wondering what this annual effort can give you, here are some advantages:
- Cleaning will create more space. Taking out all the unwanted items can lead you to a fantastic discovery: you have more storage than you thought you had! Decluttering your apartment or living space allows you to weigh which things are worth keeping and which don’t. It’s the best time to clear away those that take up unwanted desk or closet space so you’ll have the chance to fill it up with more important stuff.
- It’s the perfect, productive way to move around. Winter may have kept you inside the apartment, but spring cleaning is the ideal way to get moving again. Housework is an excellent, low-impact exercise that allows you to burn calories and get your joints moving. And what’s more? You are improving your home simultaneously, making it more livable for you.
- A cleaner space will inspire you to make healthier choices. Now that you can see your surroundings more clearly, you can make sound decisions about what you eat and how you pass the time. No longer will your books be buried under the rubble of linens and baskets. Your food cabinet is now tidier, too, so you can make better breakfasts to enjoy.
- You can finally breathe easily! After an entire season—or two—of leaving your home as is, your home can finally be free of dust and debris! This is very important. Thousands of these tiny particles can live in your bedding, couches, carpets, and curtains over time. Dusting them frequently can help prevent buildup that could cause respiratory issues.
- Cleaning will keep you safer. As you perform your annual Spring Cleaning, you make your home hazard free. Objects like long cords, toys for the grandkids, or small items that roll under the carpet can cause slips and trips. One out of five falls can result in a severe injury, and you want to avoid that by ensuring your home is neat.
Spring Cleaning Tips:
- Make a list of items to donate, recycle, or throw away. A list can give directions on what things you don’t need. Some can include old clothes, appliances you don’t use, and old bedding and curtains.
- Declutter your space. Start from the smallest room and head down to the largest. Open the closet and start taking out the items. This allows you to see what you still need and don’t. While this may seem like an intimidating task, the truth is, it’s a great way to pass the time! Crank up your favorite tunes and listen to music as you declutter your storage. Room by room, pick out the things that you won’t truly need. Stash them all in a large box or the corner of your kitchen, so you can go back later and see what you can do with them.
- Refresh the air at home. Open the windows and let the sun and air in! For tight and cramped spaces, air fresheners can liven up the atmosphere and remove old, unwanted smells.
- Clear out the fridge. This is the time to get a good look into the most-used appliance at home: your refrigerator. To start, put the refrigerator in defrost mode and make sure the device is unplugged. Take out the items on a large, straight table. Take out all the food; this is your chance to remove the expired items and reorganize the shelves. Before placing them back, clean the shelves with warm water and soap to remove the old food drippings. Arrange the food items to the ones you commonly use. Utilize containers when you have them.
- Vacuum and dust the floors. It’s time to clean every nook and cranny of your home. Start with the ground, as well as the hard-to-reach spots. Clean the carpets and the rugs, too! Floor cleaning is excellent exercise, and regular vacuum cleaning can do wonders for your home.
- Remove your old curtains and bedding; it’s time to wash all of them. Hang them out to dry. Inside, install fresh curtains and bedding with a pop of color to welcome the arrival of spring.
- Rearrange furniture. You can quickly move your furniture around to give your home a new look without spending much money. This helps create a unique space or a more contemporary aesthetic. Rearranging will freshen up the atmosphere in your home without costing you a dime!
- Add plants to your favorite rooms. Plants are not just decorative objects; they absorb carbon dioxide while providing fresh oxygen so that you can breathe new air. Having plants around the room can invigorate you. You can ask someone to help install big, potted plants on empty corners and place small vases on side tables.
- Disinfect surfaces. Use disinfectant wipes on frequently touched surfaces such as doorknobs, light switches, and kitchen countertops to protect against germs.
Spring Cleaning Doesn’t Have to Be Difficult
While this season creates many cleaning tasks, this job doesn’t have to be complicated. You can enlist your family and friends to help you and use this as a bonding moment for everyone. End the day with a treat!
Here at Stonebridge at Montgomery, spring cleaning is a joyful way to welcome the new season, and you don’t have to do it alone. Our home health aides are eager to assist you in tidying up your precious space to usher you into a new, more colorful season. Surrounded by fantastic amenities and friendly staff ready to help you 24/7, this is the perfect place to spend your retirement. Call us at 1-609-683-8355 and learn more about our community!