How to Create a Spiritual LifeSeptember 24, 2020
Depending on your background and lifestyle, the idea of being spiritual can mean something different for everyone. Of course, it generally means finding a connection with something greater than ourselves and digging deep into our own meaning in life. Someone who finds spiritual wellness is a person who finds a clear purpose and direction in their life and acts on that purpose. Because finding your purpose and improving your spiritual wellness is a deeply personal process, it means that it’s not going to be the same for everyone. At Stonebridge at Montgomery, we recognize that spirituality is one of the seven dimensions of wellness.
5 Ways to Improve Spiritual Wellness
Let’s take a look at a few ways you can improve spiritual wellness in your life.
- Find time to relax each day. Taking time for yourself every day is an important part of spiritual wellness, even if it’s just a few minutes of alone time. You can use this time to write down your thoughts in a journal or just sit and reflect. Allowing yourself to take the time to connect with your inner-most thoughts and feelings helps you to find a better sense of your true self.
- Explore the world around you. Environmental wellness plays a role in your spiritual wellness. It’s a matter of connecting to the world around you and letting it feed your spiritual side. Resident Dorothy Moore enjoys taking in a bit of nature each morning. “My porch with northeast exposure is beautiful. During the warmer months, I like to sit and have breakfast and lunch there and take in the pretty view.” If you’d rather spend some time off campus, Stonebridge at Montgomery is situated nearby the Sourland Mountain Preserve and various state parks.
- Get out and volunteer. Another way to connect with yourself is through your relationship with your community. Volunteering is a great way to build on that bond. While there are many different ways you can help others in your community, and it also gives you an opportunity to feel good while using your talents.
- Spend time praying or meditating. Depending on your personal beliefs, you may spend time praying to a higher being. If you identify as non-religious, you may try meditating. If you’re new to meditating and aren’t sure how to begin, these guided meditations from UCLE Health can help. Much like your relaxation time, you should set aside a few moments in your day to meditate or pray so you can nurture your mind.
- Reflect on your personal values. Take the time to reflect on who you are as a person and your meaning. Ask yourself about your purpose, what you value most and how you’re using those that purpose and values to influence your thoughts and actions. When you reflect on your personal values, you’re helping to enhance your spiritual wellness.
Improve Your Spiritual Wellness with Stonebridge at Montgomery
At Stonebridge at Montgomery, we understand the importance of your spiritual life. We want to help you be the best version of you. If you’d like to learn more about how we offer ways to improve your overall wellness, contact us today.